Join our team as our part-time Administrator
The Poetry Translation Centre is looking for a part-time Administrator to join our small and dynamic team. This is an excellent opportunity for someone with exceptional administrative skills and a passion for the arts to join an innovative and ambitious literature organisation.
The Poetry Translation Centre was founded in 2004 by the poet Sarah Maguire to introduce extraordinary poetry from around the world to new audiences, live and online. Our mission is to give the best poems from Africa, Asia and Latin America a new life in the English language, to better understand and dignify the diverse communities who have made their home in the UK, and to enrich the English poetic tradition through translation. We produce new translations through public workshops which are open to all and free to unwaged and refugee participants. We commission fresh translations for publication by pairing international poets with leading UK poets who write in English. We organise poetry tours around the country. Above all, we forge enduring relations with immigrant communities in the UK for whom poetry is of great importance.
The PTC is a registered charity and a company limited by guarantee. The Centre has been regularly funded by Arts Council England since 2006, and since April 2012 has been one of the Arts Council’s National Portfolio Organisations. The chair of our Board of Trustees is Allison DeFrees.
We wish to recruit a part-time Administrator to strengthen our systems and provide support to our Managing Director, Erica Jarnes. You will be responsible for helping ensure the effective and efficient administration of the company, and the position will entail office management, payroll and bookkeeping duties. You will be joining us at a very exciting time, as we head towards our 15th anniversary with a renewed publishing and events programme.
The position is part-time (a total of 1 day per week) and will be based primarily at the PTC’s office in Wardrobe Place, central London. The salary will be £23,000 - £27,000 pro rata, depending on your skills and experience.
* Manage invoicing and payments related to programme activity
* Support the Managing Director in preparing budgets and financial reports
* Support the compiling of annual returns to Arts Council England and other grant reporting
* Help maintain the PTC’s IT systems, shared drive and calendars
* Help manage aspects of bookkeeping on a weekly basis
* Monitor bank accounts and bank reconciliations
* Coordinate monthly payroll
* Coordinate quarterly board meetings including organising papers, setting up meetings, liaising with board members and taking minutes
* Maintaining the register of trustees at Companies House
* Other tasks as required by the Managing Director
* At least three years’ experience working in an administrative position
* Interest in the arts/literature and the work of the Poetry Translation Centre
* Experience with bookkeeping and financial administration
* Experience with MS Office applications, Google Drive and the QuickBooks online accounting system
* Attention to detail and accuracy
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
* Self-starter who can work independently and flexibly in a small team
* Experience of working for an arts organisation or charity
* Experience of working with a board of trustees
* Interest in / experience of different cultures and languages
* Salary: £23,000 - £27,000 pro rata, depending on experience
* Hours: 7 hours per week
* Location: 2 Wardrobe Place, London EC4V 5AH
* Line Manager: Managing Director
Contract terms: Permanent, following a satisfactory three-month probationary period
To Apply: Please send a CV and covering letter, together with a PTC Diversity Monitoring Form (which can be downloaded from this page), to email@example.com. Please put ‘Application – Administrator’ in the subject heading of your email.
Deadline: 5pm, Monday 31 July 2017
Interviews: Week of 14 August 2017, in Wardrobe Place.