Events And Workshops Manager (Fixed-term)
The Poetry Translation Centre is looking for an Events and Workshops Manager to join our small and dynamic team. This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious and organised person with a passion for live literature and access to the arts.
The Poetry Translation Centre was founded in 2004 by the poet Sarah Maguire to introduce extraordinary poetry from around the world to new audiences, live and online. Our mission is to give the best poems from Africa, Asia and Latin America a new life in the English language, to better understand and dignify the diverse communities who have made their home in the UK, and to enrich the English poetic tradition through translation. We produce new translations through public workshops which are open to all and free to unwaged and refugee participants. We commission fresh translations for publication by pairing international poets with leading UK poets and bridge-translators. We organise poetry tours around the country, and we forge enduring relations with immigrant communities in the UK for whom poetry is of great importance.
The PTC is a registered charity and a company limited by guarantee. The Centre has been regularly funded by Arts Council England since 2006, and since April 2012 has been one of the Arts Council’s National Portfolio Organisations. The chair of our Board is Sandy Balfour.
We wish to recruit a part-time Events and Workshops Manager, initially for a fixed term of one year, to deliver the PTC’s workshop programme and poet tours. You will support our Commissioning Editor to deliver 18 regular poetry translation workshops at our HQ in London, as well as to develop the workshop model for educational, corporate and regional partners in other cities. Supported by our Chief Executive and other team members you will deliver three poet tours in 2019, for visiting poets from Brazil, China and Cuba, as well as a two-day symposium on translating poetry in September 2019 (in partnership with SOAS University of London). You will also do preparatory work for our 2020 poet tours, featuring poets from Israel, Palestine and Georgia.
The position is part-time - a total of 4 days per week (0.8 FTE) - divided roughly equally between the events and workshop programmes. You will be based primarily at the PTC’s office at the Albany in Deptford, and the role will involve regional and occasional overnight travel. The salary will be £26,000 - £29,000 pro rata, depending on experience.
• Advance and deliver PTC events and poet tours (~20 events in 2019), with support from other team members - pitching, advancing including travel, accommodation and visas, author care and budget management
• Plan and evaluate all events in line with agreed objectives and funding conditions
• Support the Commissioning Editor to deliver 18 regular poetry translation workshops at the Albany - administration, evaluation and support on the day
• Support the Commissioning Editor to develop the workshop model for educational, corporate and regional partners in other cities
• Develop and maintain venue and workshop partners for the PTC
• Work with the Communications Manager to ensure all events and workshops are well supported by PTC comms and online activity
• Other tasks as required by the Chief Executive
• At least three years’ experience working in a comparable post
• Track record of delivering events for a range of audiences in different settings
• Track record of successfully developing new audiences and partnerships
• Interest in live literature and the work of the Poetry Translation Centre
• Experience with MS Office applications and Google Drive
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
• Highly organised, entrepreneurial and calm under pressure
• Experience of delivering bilingual and/or community events
• Experience of working with educational or corporate organisations
• Experience with evaluation and feedback frameworks
• Interest in / experience of different cultures and languages
Salary: £26,000 - £29,000 pro rata, depending on experience
Hours: 28 hours per week
Location: The Albany, Douglas Way, Deptford, London SE8 4AG
Line Manager:Chief Executive
Contract terms:Fixed term of one year, with possibility of extension
Please send a CV and covering letter, together with a PTC Diversity Monitoring Form (which can be downloaded from this page), to email@example.com. Please put ‘Application – Events and Workshops Manager’ in the subject heading of your email.
Deadline: 5pm, Monday 18 February 2019
Interviews: Week of 25 February 2019, at the Albany, Deptford