Noshi Gillani was born in Pakistan in 1964. Her fifth collection of poems: Ay Meeray Shureek-E-Risal-E-Jaan, Hum Tera Intezaar Kurtay Rahey (O My Beloved, I Kept Waiting for You) was published in Pakistan in 2008.
The candour and frankness of her highly-charged poems is unusual for a woman writing in Urdu and she has gained a committed international audience, performing regularly at large poetry gatherings in Pakistan, Australia, Canada and the US. Unknown outside the Pakistani community, the translations here mark her introduction to an English-speaking audience.
Poems by Noshi Gillani
- Last Conversation with the Sky
- The Breeze Rewrites
- Please Bring a Token Home from Each Journey
- The Flower is Torn at the Heart
- I Say Nothing Anywhere
- There Was a Time When I Loved Alone
- A Change of Season
- This Prisoner Breathes
- How Hard It Is to Manage Life
- To Catch Butterflies
- Kept On Compromising on Life
- You Know Only Dreams
- There Was a Heart that Burnt Out: Light
- The Wind, Too, Can Change Direction
- Can Someone Bring Me My Entire Being?